How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Sunset, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Dementia Oriented Program: Our Dementia Oriented Program (DOT) used tactile, visual and auditory stimuli such as yarn, tools, music and colourful lighting to engage and stimulate our residents living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Pub Day: Once a month we have Pub Day when residents relax and socialize over a maximum of 2 drinks.
- Pet Therapy: Once a month the Humane society brings a collection of shelter animals including dogs, cats and rabbits to visit with residents.
- Walking Program: We have a daily walking program as well as daily, seated exercise classes that focus on range of motion, strength, balance and flexibility.
- Live Entertainment: Twice a month we have live entertainment featuring a variety of performers from the community.
- Bingo Nights: Our weekly Bingo Nights are always very popular with residents, especially our monthly Chocolate bingo when residents win chocolate.
- Ice Cream Sundays: Ice Cream Sundays are a big hit throughout the summer months.
- Gardening Group: Our Gardening Group plants flowers and vegetables in raised planters around the patio and in winter, they switch to potted plants indoors.
- Reminiscing Group: Once a week we have a Reminiscing Group that meets to talk about the good old days.
- Supper Club: Once a week, the Supper Club brings residents together to order in favourites like pizza, Chinese Food and KFC.
- Crafting Class: Once a week we have Crafting Class.
- Movie Night: Movie Night, complete with popcorn, is always popular.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Helping Hands Group: Every morning a our Helping Hands group gets together to fold towels, facecloths, dinner napkins and other linens.
- Seasonally Themed Socials: We are always having seasonally themed socials to celebrate occasions like Mother’s day, Father’s Day, Easter, Hallowe’en and more.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Social Worker